in ,

Foul trouble stalls Falcons ascent over DLSU

The Soaring Falcons were looking like they were going to run away with the game early in the first quarter, but early foul trouble forced the Falcons to give up the 17 – 5 lead they had built, ending up on the wrong end of a grind out win by DLSU 68 — 61.

Valandre Chauca opened up the scoring with a triple all the way from the Walkway. Lenda Douanga and Simon Camacho teamed up to punish DLSU in the paint, using their height to score on layups and putbacks. Valandre hit another triple from the Walkway and Jerom Lastimosa knocked one down from the corner to give Adamson their biggest lead.

It was when Lenda Douanga was whistled for his 2nd foul that the tide started to shift. Without the 6’11 shot blocker to man the paint, DLSU’s Justin Baltazar was free to throw his weight around. Baltazar and former Falcon Kurt Lojera strung together a run to close the gap to 6 points before the end of the 1st quarter.

Coach Franz Pumaren opted not to risk Lenda getting his 3rd foul in the second quarter, but his gamble did not pay off. In Lenda’s absence the Falcons were hard pressed to find scoring opportunities. Egie Mojica may have opened the quarter with a triple but points came few and far between in a quarter that saw Adamson score only 12 points.

The game began to normalize for the Falcons when Lenda Douanga started the second half. Baltazar began having a more difficult time scoring in the paint but rebounding by Brandon Bates kept DLSU alive. Meanwhile Jerrick Ahanmisi willed his way into generating points for the Falcons, shooting a big triple right in front of Jamie Malonzo.

The slugfest continued with the Soaring Falcons gaining a bit of momentum with the game running down after Ahanmisi made another triple over Malonzo and Valandre Chauca hit a layup in traffic to give the Falcons a slim 58-57 lead.

Everything came to a screeching halt when Coach Franz Pumaren was called for a technical foul with 3:02 remaining in the game, arguing over a contentious out of bounds call. From there DLSU regained the lead and Andre Caracut hit two tough triples to put the game away. Despite Valandre’s last freethrows and Douanga’s late triple attempt, the hole was just too deep for them to climb out of.

Adamson was out-rebounded in the game 54 to 42 and called for 5 more fouls than DLSU. They hurt their cause the most from the line, making only 8 of their 20 freethrows, meanwhile DLSU made 18 of their 29 freethrows.

The Soaring Falcons dropped to a 3 – 3 standing and will look to close out the first round strong against the FEU Tamaraws.

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Soaring Falcons, Ahanmisi rebound with clutch win over UST

Adamson must flip the switch to end the first round